Windsor starts the year with a triumphant performance at the Berkshire & South Bucks County Swimming Championships 2019
Three County Championship titles, 56 podium places and three new Championship meet records
Windsor Swimming club has started the new year with an incredible performance at the 2019 Berkshire and South Bucks ASA County Championships, which saw its swimmers secure a total of 56 podium places and three prestigious County Championship Titles. This year, Windsor Swimmers brought home an impressive haul of medals including 12 Gold, 14 Silver and 30 Bronze, achieved three new meet record times, and delivered a host of personal best performances, placing the club in overall second position in the accumulated points rankings.
A total of 61 Windsor swimmers qualified for the 2019 Berkshire & South Buckinghamshire County Championships, which took place at Wycombe Leisure Centre during the weekends of the 12/13th and 26/27th January.
Damir Bajohr, aged 13 produced an outstanding performance in the pool throughout the Championships, gaining two Championship Titles, seven individual medals (six gold and one bronze) and finishing 6th place in the overall individual county rankings. Damir swam to victory in the final of the 50m Freestyle event and triumphed again in the 200m Freestyle final, giving him two top podium positions to be crowned Junior County Champion 50m Freestyle & Junior County Champion 200m Freestyle. He also narrowly missed securing a third championship title in the 100m Freestyle final, when he was pipped into silver medal position on the touch.
Molly Leamon, aged 14 years also delivered a superb swim in the 50m Backstroke final to take the gold and title of Junior County Champion 50m backstroke.
Windsor Swimming Club’s boys and girls relay teams were also on form, winning four Bronze and two silver medals in the some of the most fiercely competitive races of the championships.
The Boys Open category teams (Moritz Hoogers, Nimath Ukkash, Jeremy Toussaint, Rueben Walsh & Shay Race) collected two bronze medals in the 4 x 100m Freestyle and 4 x 100m Medley Relays.
The 12/13 years boys (Jude Borg-Cardona, Tom Pearce, Toby Davies, Hayam Ukkash) secured a silver in the 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay and a bronze in the 4 x 100m Medley.
The 10/11 years girls relay team (Nicole Claassen, Isabella Hibberd, Sophia Linfield, Lucy Nuttall) won Silver in the 4 x 50m Freestyle event and bronze in the 4 x 50m Medley.
Other notable performances came from Tom Pearce, aged 12 years, who collected a total of eight individual medals (three Gold, one Silver, four Bronze) as well as delivered two new meet record times in the 50m and 100m backstroke events. Mortiz Hoogers also swam to Gold and secured a new meet record time in the 50m backstroke Open Category Final.
Commenting on the club’s performance at the 2019 County Championships, Windsor Swimming Club Head Coach Giuseppe Caporaso said, “This is a tremendous start to the year and a fantastic indication of more success to come for our swimmers as the competition season progresses throughout the year. With these championships coming so soon after Christmas, it’s testament to the hard work and dedication of the swimmers, and the coaching team, who have all trained tirelessly and continued to work hard throughout the holiday period to ensure everyone was in top form for this event.”
Caporaso continues, “It is also extremely exciting to see swimmers from the youngest age groups in the club competing at county level for the first time gain inspiration and encouragement from our more experienced senior open category competitors. All our swimmers gave it 110% in the pool and it was gratifying to witness the tremendous team spirit and the many personal best performances throughout the championships. For Windsor Swimming Club to achieve overall second position in the accumulated points county rankings, clearly indicates the depth and strength of talent we have in our club, and the potential we have for future successes.”
- Damir Bajohr 1500m Freestyle, 800m Freestyle, 400m freestyle, 200m Freestyle, 100m Freestyle, 50m Freestyle
- Molly Leamon 50m Backstroke
- Tom Pearce 50m Backstroke, 100m Backstroke, 200m Backstroke
- Moritz Hoogers 50m Backstroke
- Isabella Hibberd 200m Breaststroke
- Poppy Pope 50m Breaststroke; 100m Breaststroke
- Matilda O'Dea 50m Freestyle; 100m Freestyle
- Alex Mufti 800m Freestyle
- Katie Ford 50m Freestyle
- Rhiannon Thomas 50m Breaststroke
- Thomas Williams 200m Breaststroke
- Tom Pearce 200m Freestyle
- Leo Vorobyev 50m Breaststroke
- William Owen 400m Individual Medley
- Moritz Hoogers 200m Backstroke
- Tom Pearce 200m Individual Medley, 100m Butterfly, 50m & 100m Freestyle
- Leo Vorobyev 100m & 200m Breaststroke, 50m Butterfly
- Joseph Mottram 100m & 200m Backstroke
- Poppy Pope 400m Individual Medley, 200m Breaststroke
- Thomas Williams 50m & 100m Breaststroke
- Katie Ford 100m Freestyle, 50m Backstroke
- Jude Borg-Cardona 800m Freestyle
- Mortiz Hoogers 100m Backstroke
- William Owen 50m Backstroke
- Matilda O’Dea 50m Butterfly
- Caoimhe McGee 800m Freestyle
- Damir Bajohr 100m Backstroke
- Alex Mufti 400m Individual Medley
- Priya Palmer 50m Butterfly
- Nicole Claassen 400m Freestyle
- Molly Leamon 100m Backstroke
- Isabella Hibberd 100m Breaststroke